Anna and Clara recently celebrated their 4th birthday! It’s impossible to me that I have 4 year olds! It feels like they were just born yesterday (and like I’ve known them forever)! They chose a pink and purple butterfly theme so I tried to carry that through all of their parties (you can see more about their birthday celebrations on my family blog).
Since we were going with a pink and purple theme, I thought pink strawberry cupcakes would be perfect. These cupcakes have a great strawberry flavor and are very easy to pull together — which is a good thing! I made 4 batches of these cupcakes two days before their birthday. We took cupcakes to school, cupcakes for their pizza party, and then more cupcakes for their family party. I was the cupcake queen for a few days! 🙂
I made the butterfly picks for the cupcakes. I used this butterfly punch with pink cardstock and then glued two of the butterflies on to a toothpick using glitter glue. I originally found the idea on Pinterest.
- Strawberry Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1½ cups water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 small box strawberry Jell-o
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick butter
- 9 oz. cream cheese (3- 3oz packages)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix all cake ingredients in a medium bowl using a hand mixer. Distribute batter into 24 muffin cups and bake according to directions on the box.
- For the frosting beat the butter until creamy. Add the cream cheese. Add remaining ingredients and mix until light and fluffy!